Coffin Electric

Coffin Electric Logo

call

515-556-5543

email

chris@coffinelectric.com

Categories
Safety

Faulty Electrical Wiring? You Need a Professional

Your home’s electrical wiring is one of the foundational elements of your day-to-day life, so it’s crucial that it is always operating successfully to keep powering your life and to keep you safe. But repairing and maintaining it is definitely not a DIY job or as simple as watching a quick YouTube tutorial, so you’ll want a professional electrician, like any of our great team members at Coffin Electric, to take on that task for you. For the sake of energy management and safety, we always want to ensure that we keep an eye on your wiring and any issues that may have cropped up over time, so here are some red flags to look out for.

Dimming Lights & Burning Bulbs

Lights often dim or burn out for much simpler reasons such as mismatched wattages to bulbs and fixtures, or simply just needing to be replaced from time to time. However, this can also be a sign of something more amiss in your wiring. Dimming lights may be a signal for worn-out wiring which can cause dangerous short circuits, sparks, or electrical arcs. If you have to continue to replace burnt-out bulbs too frequently, contact a professional electrician ASAP. There are many things that could be the cause in your electrical wiring, and a licensed electrician will be able to diagnose and fix the problems. 

Circuit Breaker Trips

If your electrical wiring was not properly installed, overloaded circuits could become an issue, which will cause your circuit breaker to trip very frequently, cutting off electrical power to keep your home safe. However, although the breaker cuts off power, it’s essential to remember that these faulty wire connections, if not addressed, will lead to electrical fires.

Electric Bill Spikes

If you notice an increase in your energy bills, this could indicate an issue with the circuit. Bad wiring can lead to sparks that will be a risk to you, but will also constantly consume power, stacking on dollars to your bill. An inspection performed by a licensed electrician can determine the source of the spikes in your electricity and your bills, and evaluate how to address the power surge.

Electrical Surges

While electrical surges are not entirely out of the ordinary during a storm or lightning, or if there is an issue with the electric company, it can be a bad sign for overloaded circuits or faulty connections. You may have to remove devices or appliances that could be causing dips in the power input until your wiring can be repaired or upgraded. Be cautious with surges if you experience them, as they can be a huge risk to valuable appliances in your home, so you’ll want to get your wiring addressed whenever you can.

 

Whatever the case may be for your wiring, it’s always good to have your electrical system inspected by a qualified electrician to ensure that all issues can be diagnosed and repaired so that you can have peace of mind knowing that your electrical system is safe and fully functional.

Categories
Safety

5 Most Common Electrical Problems in Your Home

5 Most Common Electrical Problems in Your Home

Electricity is a lot more vital to our day-to-day lives than it used to be. That’s why, when you face a problem with the electricity in your home, it can throw your routine out of whack. Today we’ll uncover some of the most common electrical problems in your home. 

 

Voltage Sags

Typically, voltage sags, also known as brownouts, are not indicative of a larger problem with your home electrical. This issue, sags or dips in voltage, visible when your lights dim and get brighter without turning off, only lasting a second, is usually caused by equipment failure at your power plant or natural events like lightning. So, this home electrical problem isn’t usually something you need to worry about fixing, they will most likely get fixed at the plant.

While voltage sags are typically not dangerous, if they happen too frequently, they can become dangerous by causing malfunctions in digital equipment. 

 

Power Surges

Surges, similar to voltage sags, are common and usually only last for a moment. But frequent surges can cause damage to any electronic devices connected to the home electrical reducing, its lifespan. Generally, these surges are caused by high-voltage disruptions in the flow of electricity, improper house wiring, electrical faults, or damage to power lines. When you notice a power surge, the best thing you can do is disconnect electrical devices from your power outlets. If these surges continue, you can call us at Coffin Electric to get to the bottom of it. 

 

Electrical Shocks

Typically, electrical shocks are uncommon in your home electrical system and are a sign of something going wrong–like poor insulation, ungrounded wiring, backstabbed wires, or faulty appliances. However, if you live in an older home with an older electrical system, these shocks might be more common than their newer counterparts. To get to the root of the electrical shocks and be sure of the cause of the problem, calling a trusted electrician like our team at Coffin Electric, is the best bet. Trying to fix this problem by yourself can prove to be very dangerous and result in injury or damage to your system.

 

Trip in Your Circuit Breaker

Your circuit breaker is an extremely important part of your electrical system, protecting you and your home. If your circuit breaker keeps tripping, it’s a sign of a problem with a circuit. 

Likely, you have too many high-energy devices drawing power from the same source. The best thing you can do to avoid tripping the breaker is to reduce your devices that connect to a single power source or to lower the power draw settings of your appliances. If neither of these solutions works, you’ll want to call in backup from a professional. 

 

Frequent Bulb Burnouts

Obviously, your lightbulbs will burn out eventually, they do so to prevent electrical fires when equipment overheats. But, if they’re burning out earlier than they should, there could be several causes. Bulbs can burn out due to high voltage, a bulb fixed too tightly, improper air circulation, loose circuits or sockets, or excessive use. If this is a consistent issue, Coffin Electric can help you find the cause.