Protecting Your Pet From Home Electrical Hazards
As much as we love our pets, we know that sometimes, they’re bound to get into something they shouldn’t. With your typical snacks from the garbage to torn-apart toys, the biggest worry for your furry friend might be an upset tummy. However, we pet-owners know that there is worse trouble for them to get into. That’s why it’s important to take measures to protect your pets from electrical hazards.
While this might not be applicable to your smaller pets, your cats and dogs tend
to explore our homes more freely. If we can train our pets to stay away from potentially
dangerous areas, we can increase their safety and your peace of mind. For animals who
respond more to negative stimuli, you can spray the area with a smell they don’t like. For
animals who respond to positive stimuli, give your good girl or boy a treat every time
they move away from cords or other dangerous areas. After a while, they’ll associate
avoiding these dangers with rewards, and stay away.
While we know that there are more and more devices that become a part of your
daily life, it’s important to remember to unplug your electronics when you’re not using
them as frequently. Pets have a way of getting into trouble in the strangest ways, and
you never know what they’re doing when you’re not looking. So, unplugging unused
electronics can help you get out ahead of them. If a device is unplugged when they’re
nosing around, the danger is significantly lessened. Plus, unplugging those electronics
helps you save money!
Keep cords tidy
For pets, any cords laying around might seem like a fun chew toy. As you and I
know though, this is an extremely dangerous temptation for a number of reasons.
Keeping that from happening is thankfully pretty simple. You can tuck away those loose
cords, use a protective cover, and take the time to keep the cords organized.
Make the investment
Unfortunately, cheaper electrical equipment and devices generally are easier to
damage or break and can become dangerous more frequently than something more
expensive. While we completely understand saving money, investing in something a little
pricier may offer more safety benefits. A faulty electrical device, like a cheap power
cord, is much more likely to spark or overheat, which could shock a nearby pet, or could
even start an electrical fire.
For as many precautions you can take, you can never account for every danger
or problem. If, in the worst-case scenario, your pet comes into contact with electricity
and receives a shock, knowing what to do in this emergency situation is the best thing
you can do.
First, unplug and remove the source of the shock to eliminate the risk of further
injury to you, them, or anyone else around. Next, check on your pet, find their pulse, and
watch their breathing. Try to keep calm, as they might be scared or stressed, and the
presence of their composed and trusted owner might help them feel better. If you see
any burns while looking them over, apply a cold compress. Then, as soon as possible,
call your emergency vet. They’re the experts and will be able to guide you through the
next necessary steps for your situation, and inform you whether or not you should bring
them into the clinic. Most of the time, they will advise you to do so, unless your pet
recovers quickly. For the next 12-24 hours, monitor them carefully, continuing to check
their breathing and pulse, and watch for any strange or alarming behavior. You know
your pet best, so trust yourself and err on the side of caution.