Electricity is a lot more vital to our day-to-day lives than it used to be. That’s why, when you face a problem with the electricity in your home, it can throw your routine out of whack. Today we’ll uncover some of the most common electrical problems in your home.
Typically, voltage sags, also known as brownouts, are not indicative of a larger problem with your home electrical. This issue, sags or dips in voltage, visible when your lights dim and get brighter without turning off, only lasting a second, is usually caused by equipment failure at your power plant or natural events like lightning. So, this home electrical problem isn’t usually something you need to worry about fixing, they will most likely get fixed at the plant.
While voltage sags are typically not dangerous, if they happen too frequently, they can become dangerous by causing malfunctions in digital equipment.
Surges, similar to voltage sags, are common and usually only last for a moment. But frequent surges can cause damage to any electronic devices connected to the home electrical reducing, its lifespan. Generally, these surges are caused by high-voltage disruptions in the flow of electricity, improper house wiring, electrical faults, or damage to power lines. When you notice a power surge, the best thing you can do is disconnect electrical devices from your power outlets. If these surges continue, you can call us at Coffin Electric to get to the bottom of it.
Typically, electrical shocks are uncommon in your home electrical system and are a sign of something going wrong–like poor insulation, ungrounded wiring, backstabbed wires, or faulty appliances. However, if you live in an older home with an older electrical system, these shocks might be more common than their newer counterparts. To get to the root of the electrical shocks and be sure of the cause of the problem, calling a trusted electrician like our team at Coffin Electric, is the best bet. Trying to fix this problem by yourself can prove to be very dangerous and result in injury or damage to your system.
Your circuit breaker is an extremely important part of your electrical system, protecting you and your home. If your circuit breaker keeps tripping, it’s a sign of a problem with a circuit.
Likely, you have too many high-energy devices drawing power from the same source. The best thing you can do to avoid tripping the breaker is to reduce your devices that connect to a single power source or to lower the power draw settings of your appliances. If neither of these solutions works, you’ll want to call in backup from a professional.
Obviously, your lightbulbs will burn out eventually, they do so to prevent electrical fires when equipment overheats. But, if they’re burning out earlier than they should, there could be several causes. Bulbs can burn out due to high voltage, a bulb fixed too tightly, improper air circulation, loose circuits or sockets, or excessive use. If this is a consistent issue, Coffin Electric can help you find the cause.