At Coffin Electric we strive for safety to give our customers peace of mind. By keeping homeowners aware of warning signs, we can catch problems before they become dangerous. Look out for these 5 signs in your home, and if you need help with any of them, Coffin Electric is here for you.
In the late 60s and early 70s, many homes used aluminum wiring. Unfortunately, buildings with wiring of this kind have been found to be 50 times more likely to experience fire damage. Now, we use copper wiring, as it is more resistant to heat. If your home was made during this era, or if you’re uncertain about the type of wiring, it’s best to double check with a home inspection.
No, your house (probably) isn’t haunted. Unless the weather has been windy or stormy, your home’s electrical wiring may be outdated and unable to handle the increased energy demands of your home.
Frayed wiring is an extremely dangerous fire and shock hazard. Whether due to remodeling allowing access to the wiring in question, or just a damaged wire on an everyday appliance, never ignore frayed or damaged wiring.
While it’s not uncommon for a circuit breaker to trip, if it’s happening too frequently, it could be cause for concern. Normal trips are often caused by running multiple appliances from the same circuit, causing an overload. On the other hand, if you have to head to your circuit breaker panel more often than not, there could be a dangerous problem with your wiring or electrical panel. These panels last 25-40 years, but outdated panels won’t be able to keep up with the electrical needs of today’s homes. If you’re installing new appliances, like a larger refrigerator or hot tub, upgrading your panel might be a good idea.
Your outlets are an easy thing to keep an eye on, as they provide some tell tale warning signs for problems. If your outlets are emitting a buzzing or sizzling sound, it could be a sign of a potential wiring problem. If you smell smoke in your home and you’re not actively burning dinner, check your outlets. If the smell is stronger or you see scorch marks near your outlet, you’ll want to take immediate action. If any of your outlets have warmth or a vibration feeling coming from them, damaged wiring is probably at fault. An outlet that’s working correctly will be cool to the touch and definitely won’t be moving or vibrating. This problem is not one you can hold off on fixing, as it could lead to a house fire. If you’re experiencing any of these issues, unplug your appliances and call us as soon as you can. Our background checked, drug-tested, and professionally trained team is ready to help!